2019 Golf to get 48-Volt "Mild-Hybrid" System - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

2019 Golf to get 48-Volt "Mild-Hybrid" System

Although we will be getting all the powertrain options we have been used to all these years, this time around a 48V mild-hybrid option will be making its way to market. This is a big deal especially since VW will view this as one of their main Hybrid offerings. So as more news releases this should get very interesting.

Quote:
The eighth-generation Volkswagen Golf, set to make its debut at the 2019 Frankfurt motor show, will pioneer the implementation of the German company’s upcoming 48V mild hybrid system – according to a new report out of Europe.

The UK’s Auto Express spoke with Volkswagen’s boss, Herbert Diess, who said that while the company is focusing heavily on electric power, the Golf will remain the core focus for the brand.

“The priority is Golf because in the next generation it will be our main core product; and that’s where the focus goes,” he said. “Mild hybrid systems will play a major role in the next generation of Golf; that will be the first application.”
post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 10-30-2017, 10:26 AM

Not really interested in mild hybrids, as far as I'm aware all they do is help you restart the engine quickly after it has been turned odd when the car is coasting, braking or completely stopped. Doesn't really add much to performance.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:35 AM

Maybe VW will come out with a plug-in hybrid or a full electric for the next gen Golf. They seem to be gearing up for more electric models because they joined the Ionity fast charger network in Europe. Pretty much a group of automakers banding together to set up a fast charging network. May as well make use of it if VW is going to be contributing.
post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 09:25 AM

Agree, Ionity could be a hint that VW is getting ready to launch the new all-electric model and I will be more than happy to see Golf as a face of the new Volkswagen EV generation. Currently, e-Golf isn't doing too well, for the last month (October) they've sold only 203 units in the US. Hope that number is going to increase with the new Golf generation.
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 09:44 AM

Doesn't help when the e-golf looks so odd, especially that lower grille. With better marketing, range, and new exterior the next gen e-Golf could be a winner. With the whole dieselgate debacle, VW needs to go green.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Doesn't help when the e-golf looks so odd, especially that lower grille. With better marketing, range, and new exterior the next gen e-Golf could be a winner. With the whole dieselgate debacle, VW needs to go green.
In addition to that what they also need is to pull in more design cues from Audi. Audi EV's will cost a lot and there will be a need for something that undercuts it but still has some luxurious appeal.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 10:05 AM

Not necessarily Audi, VW has a pretty great design language in the new Arteon. They just need to follow that same vein for their new models including EVs. I understand the need to stand out, but some cars like the i3 just looks too alien.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily Audi, VW has a pretty great design language in the new Arteon. They just need to follow that same vein for their new models including EVs. I understand the need to stand out, but some cars like the i3 just looks too alien.
I understand your point, but at the same time, I think that potential EV customers want their car to be unique and different compare to other cars in the product line. Recently, BMW's announced their new iX3 model production, but I'm still not sure whether they going to stick with current X3 design or make something "allien" out of it.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 09:12 AM

Maybe the new Golf hybrid will look similar to the I.D. hatchback concept VW put on display. Of course not the wheels, but maybe that aerodynamic looking roofline.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-22-2017, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Maybe the new Golf hybrid will look similar to the I.D. hatchback concept VW put on display. Of course not the wheels, but maybe that aerodynamic looking roofline.
When it comes to hybrid its rare that a car maker goes with a completely different design, instead they house the powertrain in the same body that gets a gasoline engine. Instead they might just give it a different grille, slightly changed exterior aero and that's just about it.

The I.D. you just shared with us is better off being a model that takes on a similar effect that the Chevy Bolt and BMW i3 did, that being a model of it own.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page