Is 4Motion all-wheel-drive possible? - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Is 4Motion all-wheel-drive possible?

Depending on where you live the availability of AWD could be a deal breaker when it comes to car shopping. Recently reading up on an article about Volkswagen’s 4Motion all-wheel-drive, I'm just wondering if it'll make an appearance in the 8th gen Golf. I know the Golf already has AWD as an option, but would all the new trims be offered with the 4motion version? Currently it's only available with the Golf Sportwagen and Golf R.

Volkswagen?s 4Motion all-wheel-drive an ideal driving partner | Driving
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 04:55 PM

I would like to see this happen on a Jetta Wagon that takes on an effect similar to the Audi A4 all road.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

But wagons aren't too popular in certain markets and some models may not make it across the pond. Personally not a fan of wagons as well, so something like the Golf with 4Motion all-wheel-drive would be better or me. It's already in certain Golf trims, so why not offer it for the whole lineup?
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 12:10 PM

AWD would be a great standard option to offer across all of their Golf trims, as it would give them a leg up on both the Civic Type R and Focus ST. I would understand if they wanted to lock the feature into the higher end trims, in an effort to upsell customers and I'm not sure if it could be offered at a baseline price. I don't care for wagons either and id like to see more AWD hatches.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:19 PM

Offered as Standard is asking for too much and right now VW is at the point where they need all they can to offer a cheaper product compared to the next guy. They have to do all of that all while not compromising much. AWD is one area that most people don't mind missing out on.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM

There is no denying that standard AWD across the lineup has done well for Subaru. And Volkswagen is already offering a cheaper product than its competitors with the new Jetta. You can get the 2019 base model for less than what a new Corolla costs. AWD is bigger selling point than most people realize, and VW has decided to offer it on the new T Roc, an option not often seen on crossovers.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 11:19 PM

Perhaps if not standard, maybe at a slight price increase so people won't stray from the Golf model? What's the average increase for an AWD model compared to an FWD or RWD? I think around $1k is fair.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 11:53 AM

Usually AWD is reserved for certain trims/packages and I think generally ends up being around a $2k price difference. It's also important to keep in mind that four-wheel or AWD vehicles consume 5 to 10 per cent more fuel than front- or rear-wheel drive cars, mostly due to the increase in weight from the extra parts. I think many would prefer the peace of mind that comes with AWD over the slight hit to fuel economy ratings.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 05:06 PM

This is still the best product to get AWD on because for right around the mid $20k level you can't complain, its at a price point that most potential owners can get to .
Comparing it to what else you can get gives perspective and I don't know about you guys but this beats a Civic EX any day.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Even if AWD does not come as standard in every trim, the option to equip every model with it is still reasonable. Just using this as an example, but the Golf SportWagen can be equipped with AWD for just $1,500 more than the base front-drive model. If the base model Golf ranges from low to mid $20,000 then there's plenty of wiggle room to add in an affordable drive system so long as it's an option.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page