Next gen GTI could be 300hp - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Next gen GTI could be 300hp

There are a growing number of reports online that are saying the next gen GTI could have even more power under the hood than the current Golf R. What are the odds that we will actually see an 80hp bump in the next MY? https://driving.ca/volkswagen/auto-n...300-horsepower
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 10:41 AM

I don't see the point of releasing a GTI variant that's more powerful than the outgoing Golf R. Unless the rumors of it becoming a 400hp hybrid end up being true.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2019, 01:02 AM

VW can do a lot to the GTI but at some point they'll have maxed out what can be done, from that point on people will shop for the RS3.

These days you can already find used RS3's so that's already a big bonus for those wanting more.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:12 PM

Putting the GTI in the same realm as the current Type R is no small feat. If VW can accomplish this, its only a matter of time before the R variant reclaims the throne in its next generation.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:57 PM

VW can do it and run laps around Honda, Ford and just about any rivals, I mean look at the VW group as a whole, they have resources beyond most.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Their tuning potential is going to be heavily limited moving forward, with how careful they need to be in relation to co2 emissions. Its far safer for them to push output limits with electrification over pure ECU tunes.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:51 AM

I can see that happening which makes me wonder how much over building might be happening.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:57 PM

They've been making some of the largest investments into electrification in the industry, so they've recognized that's their best way forward. Most of the petrol heads will want the performance models to stay gasoline powered.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
They've been making some of the largest investments into electrification in the industry, so they've recognized that's their best way forward. Most of the petrol heads will want the performance models to stay gasoline powered.
The only real hope for them will be hybrids with the way the industry is going.
Companies coming out with new gasoline engines and supportive components are taking a big risk.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page