Potential paint options - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Potential paint options

What paints are you hoping to see VW offer with the new 2019 Golf? I'm expecting to see the usual shades already offered with the current Golf
PLATINUM GRAY METALLIC
PURE WHITE
TORNADO RED
SILK BLUE METALLIC
TUNGSTEN SILVER METALLIC
DEEP BLACK PEARL
NIGHT BLUE METALLIC

But I'd like to see something more bold, like yellow or a deep shade of orange. What brought this on was a picture of a purple Golf R, something that stands out from the crowd.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:34 AM

While I'm not a huge fan of purple, that color really does make that Golf R stand out. I'd like to see the Golf R launch with an ultra light blue, as I've always been a fan of the more vibrant shades.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 11:40 AM

It's dependent on where you live because VW would want to lower production costs by painting cars in batches. Less batches of more common colors will help reduce costs. But there are more options if your country has more adventurous buyers. In Canada, the 2017 Volkswagen e-Golf and the 2018 Volkswagen Golf R has an extra 30 paint choices along with the usual palette though they will cost an extra $2,995 before taxes.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 11:40 AM

I think for that price you could go get a custom paint job, that would make your car one of a kind. Then you would also be able to choose between matte, glossy, and pearlescent finishes. Still 30 paint options is far more than I would have anticipated them offering. We have a confirmed list of colors?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
I think for that price you could go get a custom paint job, that would make your car one of a kind. Then you would also be able to choose between matte, glossy, and pearlescent finishes. Still 30 paint options is far more than I would have anticipated them offering. We have a confirmed list of colors?
You can get a paint job that's of horrible quality for that price. A professional paint job costs 3x that.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:29 AM

The cost of a paint job has a lot of different variables, but on average a higher quality one will run around $5k. You get what you pay for with paint, so its best not to cheap out in the quality. A lot of people these days opt for a body wrap, which is much cheaper and reversible.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2018, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

Wrap is the best way to go when it comes to low costs and non permanent option, but if you're going for a unique color then you may as well choose something from factory and the paintwork should be covered from defect under the warranty. So things like orange peeling, etc.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM

Found a list of all the color options on 2018 Golf R. Not sure if we will see this many options on the next gen model, but it would be nice to see more custom options. How durable are full body wraps?

91 Blue
Azure Blue Pearl
Deep Blue Pearl
Ice Blue
Inky Blue Pearl
Jazz Blue Pearl
Laser Blue Pearl
Prussian Blue Metallic
Sarantos Turquoise
Techno Blue Pearl
Champagne Metallic
Harvest Moon Beige
Terra Brown
Cliff Green
Irish Green
Racing Green
Reseda Green
Viper Green Metallic
Copper Orange Metallic
Magma Orange
TNT Orange
Dark Violet Pearl
Traffic Purple
Violet Touch Pearl
Bordeaux Red Pearl
Hot Chili Pearl
Mars Red
Raspberry Red
Curry Yellow
Ginster Yellow
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 03:46 AM

Never get Champagne Metallic, that's just asking other cars to hit you because Champagne is notorious for being hard to spot when people are trying to cut lanes.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
Never get Champagne Metallic, that's just asking other cars to hit you because Champagne is notorious for being hard to spot when people are trying to cut lanes.
IMO that comes down more to how you drive, if you're hanging around in someones blind spot you won't have a problem in addition to knowing where all other drivers are around you.
If that's really the case then what happens at night to dark colored cars? Are they more at risk?