Speed Limiter Removed - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Speed Limiter Removed

Wouldn't it be nice if the speed limited was removed in the 8th Gen VW Golf? Or at least offer and option to have it removed like the Volkswagen Golf R in Europe. Usually it can get up to 155-mph but the new Performance package available to those in Europe removes then limiter, bumping the top speed to 166 mph.

Not bad for around $3500 and it even comes with a bespoke rear spoiler, 19-inch wheels, and larger performance brakes. But it only comes with the six-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission.
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 11:51 AM

If it's available in Europe, then the electronic system that turns it off can be exported elsewhere. Of course there will be aftermarket options, but why not go factory if at all possible.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

I can see this being a popular option for the 8th gen Volkswagen Golf R as people are know to track those. But outside of that, it will only come in handy on the autobahn.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
If it's available in Europe, then the electronic system that turns it off can be exported elsewhere. Of course there will be aftermarket options, but why not go factory if at all possible.
I don't think that VW will ever go for that speed limit system in their factory production. I'm not sure, but there is a high percentage that you need to put a lot of efforts to jump over speed limit rules of some countries, even in Europe.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I checked, it's actually offered on the VW UK site and the R performance pack has derestricted top speed and other things for 2,300. But it may be limited to the R model and most likely won't be available outside of Europe.

Can't imagine the legislative hoops they'll have to jump through to offer it elsewhere.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:50 AM

Wow!

That's a great option for the UK and the whole Europe. However, I still can't believe that we're gonna see this derestrictor in NA... Even though I would love to buy it!!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 06:14 PM

Even with it not being openly offered elsewhere odds are that you can still do it, much like what people have been doing already with other models. The only thing is you might be in for a wait.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

The aftermarket tuners will find a way to remove the electronic limiters though how legal that will be is another matter. Seems more useful for people who drive on the Autobahn than the general populace and track guys. Even on track you usually don't hit top speeds.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks View Post
The aftermarket tuners will find a way to remove the electronic limiters though how legal that will be is another matter. Seems more useful for people who drive on the Autobahn than the general populace and track guys. Even on track you usually don't hit top speeds.
As far as them selling it goes, its legal, how you use it depends. Often these brands and many other brands that performance improvement pars state that what they offer is only intended for off road use.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:56 AM

I'd imagine the limiter being offered in certain countries so long as the car is designated for track use only. Can't imagine the same applying to the golf because of what the car is meant to be, a daily driver. Guess only those in Europe will have the limiter removal options.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page