470 HP Volkswagen Golf R - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By VRSIX

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

470 HP Volkswagen Golf R

Impressive numbers for a Golf R, but you wonít be finding this specific model on any showroom floor. Thatís because it was tuned by APR themselves, spending an eye watering $18,000 in mods. With headquarters in Opelika, Alabama, the company has been massaging every drop of performance out of Volkswagen and Audi vehicles for two decades.

Their latest Golf R project seems to be living up to the tunerís reputation, at least thatís what we gathered from Jalopnikís latest review of it. Looking at the list of modifications, it seems like this model is a running catalogue for APR, with a 2.0T crate engine upgraded with beefier internal components to handle a Stage 3+ turbocharger System.

Combined with a set of APR flow-formed wheels and itís enough to ďsucks your skin to the seat and blurs every cell in your brain thatís not dedicated to driving.Ē

On paper, the charged Golf R can deliver 470 horsepower and 425 ft-lbs of torque with 91 octane gas. According to APR, if you were to fill the tank with race fuel then the numbers are bumped up to 536 hp and 475 ft-lbs or torque. A staggering difference compared to the standard Golf Rís 292 hp and 280 ft-lbs.

Perhaps the company will offer 8 th gen Golf buyers similar performance mods as well.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:33 PM

Someone who desires to do something similar will be spending nearly $50,000 and in the end lose about 25% of all that money spent once they put a few miles on it.

I don't know about you guys but $50,000 can get you a lot more car overall when buying new. This is for a very small segment of Golf R owners.
Golfer likes this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSIX View Post
Someone who desires to do something similar will be spending nearly $50,000 and in the end lose about 25% of all that money spent once they put a few miles on it.

I don't know about you guys but $50,000 can get you a lot more car overall when buying new. This is for a very small segment of Golf R owners.
Agree. Despite my love for Golf, I would go for another vehicle in this price range, rather than buying $52k car filled up with aftermarket parts.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 09:48 AM

They used a crate engine, meaning it's not even using what the factory put in? Would be more impressive if they were able to get that much power out of the stock engine, but still high output for a hot hatch.

Maybe this is more to show off what they have in store and things you can buy in bits and pieces? Seems like they threw everything at this golf R and said "ta da".
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 01:54 PM

I wonder if VW will come up with a powerful model of the new Arteon? I would love to see Arteon with a sporty body kit and some extra horses under the hood.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-16-2017, 11:50 AM

VW should come out with more R models in general and not limit it to just the Golf, but then again it depends on their financial situation. With how luxurious the Arteon looks, an R variant could sell very well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey View Post
VW should come out with more R models in general and not limit it to just the Golf, but then again it depends on their financial situation. With how luxurious the Arteon looks, an R variant could sell very well.
Just wait to see what they have planned for the Arteon because at the rate things are going they are well over due for a 400-hp model as rumored a while ago.
Arteon is VW's CLS, the next best move they can make is too make it more AMG/M/etc.---like.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 01:55 PM

People want more than just a nice vehicle to sit in these days and more performance, even if they don't use every drop of it, is still appealing and an R model will go a long way.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:34 AM

That reasoning is exactly why Porsche came out with an SUV, people don't need it but they just want it.
I on the other hand will be happy with an average car because most days it doesn't even go on the highway. Though 470 hp will always sound appealing to me.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:40 AM

In a way they need it, some people with these want the practicality of an SUV to haul around their friends/family and cargo but still want to enjoy the performance they would have in something smaller. Then you have the whole growth of SUV culture in American just for the love of SUV's that plays into this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page