Volkswagen Working To Produce 500K Battery Packs Annually - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Volkswagen Working To Produce 500K Battery Packs Annually

Before the whole dieselgate debacle, Volkswagen wasn’t too interested in automotive electrification. Now the German automaker is aiming to produce up to 500,000 EV battery packs per year for the MEB platform at its Braunschweig plant.

Said facility is Volkswagen’s oldest plant, established in 1938. Electrek says it specializes in battery systems steering systems for autonomous vehicles, and suspension components. Now battery modules and packs will be added their list.

An agreement was struck and the announcement was made on site with the Management Board, plant management and works council. “The Volkswagen brand is doing its utmost to develop and produce the electric cars of the future in Germany. The battery system is an elementary part of the value chain – and we bundle the expertise for this important technology for the whole of Europe in Braunschweig.”

Speaking of development, VW has even poached Tesla’s Matthew Renna, a senior engineer that was in charge of the Model S and Model X programs. Now he’s the Vice President of Volkswagen North American Region (NAR)-G4 team, helping to bring the new MEB platform to market.

Of course this won’t happen overnight. We’re expecting the first few packs to roll off their production line around 2020 when VW is planning to release their I.D. line of electric vehicles. If the VW Golf ever goes electric, this is where its battery pack will come from.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 10:12 AM

Glad to see that VW is setting their electric infrastructure in place prior to full scale production. They wont want what's happening with the e-Golf to plague their new electrics when they begin to hit the market in 2020.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-16-2018, 11:15 AM

That's a pretty steep milestone, and it'll be interesting to see how VW handles problems with production. Just because they have the capacity to manufacture batteries on the scale, doesn't mean they will be able to source all of the raw materials required.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Well it looks like VW has had to halt orders of its plug in Passat GTE due to experiencing unprecedented demand. Both it and the Golf GTE are suffering from extremely long wait times, and VW has not confirmed what exactly is causing the delay. Hopefully this new plant will prevent similar problems from occurring when their EV lineup starts to enter the market in 2020.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018, 12:00 PM

Didn't we hear rumors of the new Golf not getting an electric version? With how much demand there are for the e-Golf it would make more sense for VW to offer this with the new 8th gen Golf as well.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2018, 11:09 AM

I don't know why they wouldn't be considering an electric/hybrid variant of the Golf, at least in the premium trims. There is no way with all the EV's that they plan to bring to market, that they are all brand new models. They should go the same route as Ford and offer a hybrid on the R line trim.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 12:30 PM

So far, we've only heard rumors of a mild hybrid Golf and not the full hybrids we're seeing the market getting saturated with. For all we know, that's what VW will offer for a while when it comes to the Golf even though they're increasing battery pack production. Hoping that's not the case but I won't hold my breath.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 11:14 AM

I think that VW will be saving its fully electric models for its ID lineup. I'm pretty sure they've already confirmed that the production model will look just like the concept that they've previewed, which is pretty sleek looking imo. I think out of all their upcoming electrics, I'm most excited about the new Bus.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 11:01 AM

It also looks like VW alike most of its competitors will be moving EV production to China. I suppose with how competitive this segment is going to be in the next few years, any methods of cost cutting are being used. The new ID Buzz does look pretty awesome, and I hope that's just the beginning of retro electrics.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 04:34 PM

It helps that China is big enough that making models only for China is a lucrative strategy. In addition the Chinese would respect it as much as we would with a built in America and for Americans vehicle.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page