Volkswagen Golf R VS Focus RS - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Volkswagen Golf R VS Focus RS

They seem to be the two main competitors, though when it comes to performance hot hatches there's quite a few on the market. Though nothing has been confirmed yet, the Golf R is expected to match the current Focus RS with 350 hp.

Numbers aside, the Focus RS sales has come to an end so it really won't be a competitor for the Golf R in sales until the next generation comes out and that won't be for a few years yet. Volkswagen just needs to take advantage of that window of opportunity.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 AM

Honestly, the Focus RS seems over-hyped to me. Yes, it's an amazing piece of automotive engineering but the drift mode they kept pushing just took away from everything else and I think it lost to the old Golf R in a comfort ride test.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Never coming back to Ford! Had an awful experience with their disgusting transmission, so I don't even want to consider focus as a competitor.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQ View Post
Never coming back to Ford! Had an awful experience with their disgusting transmission, so I don't even want to consider focus as a competitor.
Never knew they were that bad because I know a few people with the current Focus generation and they have nothing but good things to say about it. One even has the Focus ST.

Which year model was yours?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRSIX View Post
Never knew they were that bad because I know a few people with the current Focus generation and they have nothing but good things to say about it. One even has the Focus ST.

Which year model was yours?
Mine was 2013 new model at that time. I'm not sure about their current models, so don't want to ruin your attitude about such a huge company, but I personally need some time to recover after that experience.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:43 AM

Once burned and twice shy, that's why automakers need to be careful with their vehicles and recalls or they could lose customers for life. Only Jeep seems to be immune from this. Granted my Ford experience was in the 90s, but that was enough to steer me away from them since then.

VW seems to be better with their customer service and reliability, just need to recover from the diesel scandal and that's great news for us because they'll be more careful with their product releases.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks View Post
Once burned and twice shy, that's why automakers need to be careful with their vehicles and recalls or they could lose customers for life. Only Jeep seems to be immune from this. Granted my Ford experience was in the 90s, but that was enough to steer me away from them since then.

VW seems to be better with their customer service and reliability, just need to recover from the diesel scandal and that's great news for us because they'll be more careful with their product releases.
Lucky for you that we have a lot of options these days which is bad for brands like VW. If i was in the market for a bigger vehicle the new Toyota Avalon would be on my list, one major reason is that active suspension, its like what this Golf will have which the 7th gen also has.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Doesn't look like Ford will be bringing the RS until at least 2020, so Volkswagen has to time to build a proper machine that can not only rival it, but outclass it. Not sure why Ford has decided to discontinue such a highly rated trim, I suppose its due to their focus on pickups.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:05 AM

The current gen Golf R still comes out as the better all rounder compared to the Focus RS, though I can't recall which categories each excelled in. But the Golf R was declared a well-rounded vehicle. The next gen Golf R will probably uphold that reputation and beat the next RS.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-26-2018, 11:34 AM

Most of the articles I've read which compare the two, say that the Focus RS beats out the Golf R, at least on paper. The Golf R won for interior and the Focus on drivetrain. I suppose the preference of exterior is likely to shift from person to person. I have high hopes for the next iteration of the Golf R, but it think it's a little early to assume it'll outshine the next RS.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar167503.html

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page