8th Gen Golf Production Start In 2019 - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

8th Gen Golf Production Start In 2019

Volkswagen announced the production start date for their 8th Gen Golf and it's set to start in about 75 weeks from now, which puts the date near the last day of June 2019. This bit of news was released at the Golf 8 Supplier Summit in Wolfsburg today. Autoguide was told it will “always be online and its digital cockpit and assistance systems will be the benchmark in terms of connectivity and safety.”

Volkswagen Golf MK8 Announced, Will be Built in Wolfsburg » AutoGuide.com News
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:01 AM

Don't care much for some of those autonomous features, but I am looking forward to an upgrade everywhere else.
Quote:
“meet customers’ requirements with respect to design, economics, CO2 values, comfort and reliability,”
I assume that means the new Golf will be price for mass sales, maybe around $20k, and it's going to have a nice interior to give us a feeling of comfort. So soft plastics, nice bolstered seats, etc.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2018, 11:43 AM

Yeah I don't like that these autonomous features are becoming prevalent across all car platforms, I was really hoping they would stay exclusive to the EV/luxury segment. It looks as though Volkswagen is dumping some serious investment (2.2 billion) into the next iteration of the golf, so lets hope that comes with some welcomed improvements to its interior and exterior styling.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 AM

The Golf is one of their biggest sellers, so it makes sense for VW to dump a lot of money into its research and development.
With production starting next year, we can expect to see a few press vehicles roaming around near the end of this year. Both as a way to fine tune the production process and to give journalists something to test drive ahead of release.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-25-2018, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks View Post
The Golf is one of their biggest sellers, so it makes sense for VW to dump a lot of money into its research and development.
With production starting next year, we can expect to see a few press vehicles roaming around near the end of this year. Both as a way to fine tune the production process and to give journalists something to test drive ahead of release.
I hope you are right about and what impacts this is when automotive publications are allowed to let the information out. Sometimes we have to wait weeks, if not, months from the time they actually do the review till it comes out.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:01 AM

Even before reviews, we'll have the reveal to look forward to. Assuming it really is in June next year, the new Golf could debut at the Detroit show or In Geneva. There's a few other in the first quarter of the year but i can't recall them and the two listed are the more well known and publicized events IMO.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 PM

I don't know if anything has been confirmed for the Chicago show starting this weekend, but the Toronto Car show is the following week. Its rumored that more than 40 cars will make their debut there, so who knows if we will see anything from Volkswagen or not. Fingers crossed.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-09-2018, 01:54 PM

That seems too localized and I'd assume Volkswagen would want to debut the new Golf somewhere closer to home or at their own reveal event. If production starts mid or late 2019, then it could very well debut at next year's Geneva auto show, which is one of the largest ones in the world.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:02 PM

Yeah I don't think we'll see any big reveals at the Toronto show. Its more likely that either Volkswagen will do their own show/reveal otherwise we're stuck waiting for the next international show. I'm hoping that this "digital cockpit" doesn't mean we should expect more electrical components, because I'd much rather they keep a mechanical handbrake and shifter.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 08:25 PM

Chicago Auto Show is a big deal and odds are we will see something their or the Geneva show which has always been one of the best world stages for a car maker. A prime example is the upcoming Supra reveal.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page