2019 Golf Review- Car and Driver - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

2019 Golf Review- Car and Driver

It seems that VW's decision to swap to a smaller engine has had too much of an impact on the new Golfs performance. While 147hp may seem inadequate for some, C&D says the new model makes the most of the 1.4l turbo four. Imo they should have made a more significant revision to the exterior styling, like the did with the new Jetta. https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...by-the-numbers
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 AM

I think anyone who prioritizes performance will likely step up to the GTI trim anyways. Unfortunately it seems the change in engine has been sort of forced upon VW as a result of the new WLTP.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:22 PM

I see that even Hyundai came on the scene recently with a Golf rivaling hatch. It doesn't help that the Golf is often priced higher and depends on a loyal following. Hyundai plays on straight value and have been winning people over especially with the absent stigma of owning a Korean car (much different from the 80's and early 90's)
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 10:35 AM

Its a sad day when Hyundai is offering a more powerful hatchback, but we will have to wait and see what VW delivers with the GTI and R variants. I think there is also still a fair bit of skepticism in regards to how reliable all these Korean brands are in the long term.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
Its a sad day when Hyundai is offering a more powerful hatchback, but we will have to wait and see what VW delivers with the GTI and R variants. I think there is also still a fair bit of skepticism in regards to how reliable all these Korean brands are in the long term.
Dependable with a growing support network, post bad PR for VW but so far they've been showing that pulling through can happen.

If they can impress us with the Arteon and Atlas, I have hope in ye another strong Golf run. The challenge is actually following through.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Consumer reviews for the Atlas are terrible and a lot of new owners are reporting non stop issues. Imo there are much better candidates if you're looking for a full size family hauler.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:01 PM

I guess its been hard for people to turn down what looks like an Audi but priced like any regular product. Its one of the advantages that VW has these days.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page