VW wants to sell you a race car - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

VW wants to sell you a race car

So we know that VW is no longer represented in Formula 1, Indy or NASCAR and they seem to be taking a new approach to the motorsports industry. Instead of spending millions fielding their high performance race machines, they have built a business around selling race and rally cars to customer teams. If you've got the budget you can buy the Golf GTI TCR for $113k plus shipping and taxes.

If you've got a little more money to spend you can also get your hands on the Polo GTI R5, which is priced around $220k.

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:12 AM

Wonder what sort of specs these models are putting out. I'm assuming that they aren't road legal? It would be awesome to see them smoke some high end sports cars.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:36 AM

They're sold only to racing teams, so no, they probably aren't road legal at all or it's not suggested. This is similar to the the Type R crate engine that was being sold, think it was limited to race teams as well. Amazing vehicles both of them, but not very attainable for the general populace.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

They are probably manufactured on a as needed basis, so I wouldn't imagine they are available to purchase by anyone other than professional teams. Wouldn't imagine them being road legal and I cant see a regular drive being interested in spending that kind of money on a VW to begin with.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-16-2018, 11:52 AM

But if I did have the money to throw around, it'll have to be the Polo GTI R5 for me based on looks alone. Though what's under the hood will be the deciding factor. Did they make any changes to the engine between the two models?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 10:59 AM

I haven't been able to find any confirmed specs for these racing variants, but considering their price point I think its safe to assume that there aren't many stock components left. Surprisingly VW has sold 75 of the Golf GTI TCR since 2015.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Saw this test drive of the a 200hp 2018 Polo GTI that's worth having a look at. I can see why this model is so popular right now in the UK.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPhil View Post
I haven't been able to find any confirmed specs for these racing variants, but considering their price point I think its safe to assume that there aren't many stock components left. Surprisingly VW has sold 75 of the Golf GTI TCR since 2015.
They are completely different from road going model you can buy. A lot goes into making these competitive vehicles. Even just seeing the interior of one gives away how different they are, from the stripped interior to all the high end race components that give readings similar to our dashboards. Let alone all the engine and undercarriage components.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page