VW offers to buy back new diesels - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

VW offers to buy back new diesels

So it looks like VW is following suit with what BMW has announced, and they will be buying back diesel cars, should certain cities decide to ban them. They are however at the same time, offering better incentives for buyers of new diesel cars. Diesel car sales have dropped by 19% in Germany last month. Volkswagen said its buyback offer applies to new diesels bought between April 1 and the end of 2018 and would kick in if the city in which the buyer lived or worked banned diesels within three years of the purchase.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 11:56 AM

They've been buying back cars since the gov't ordered them to early last year or the year before. Can't recall the exact date it started and some people have been stripping their cars before making the return. Unfortunately VW had no choice but to take back those shady cars with obvious parts missing or switched out.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Yeah but this buyback isn't for Dieselgate cars, its for any diesel model. Cant say that I'm surprised that people tried to salvage some parts before returning the car. Its not like they're being used anyways.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 11:56 AM

That's only if cities are outright banning diesel vehicles. I believe a few European countries are trying to phase out all gas and diesel cars in a short period of time, but I'm not aware of any particular State that's trying to do something similar.
Wonder if this offer will last until the ban comes into effect because passing legislations takes forever.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 10:59 AM

I think the legislation has already gone through in a bunch of countries, and its now being left to the discretion of different cities/townships. I know diesels are still incredibly popular in Europe and until they have more hybrid/electric alternatives, I'm not sure that drivers will be happy with the ban, especially if they are driving an older model.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
I think the legislation has already gone through in a bunch of countries, and its now being left to the discretion of different cities/townships. I know diesels are still incredibly popular in Europe and until they have more hybrid/electric alternatives, I'm not sure that drivers will be happy with the ban, especially if they are driving an older model.
I think at this rate we will see the U.S. become the last to ban diesel and even gasoline vehicles. Right now the focus to ban them is happening more Europe, India and surrounding countries.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, they'll definitely be starting in places with the highest number of diesels on the road. I'm not sure what the sales are like in North America, but I know they marginal compared to Europe. I have a feeling that once the first bans are placed, that they will quickly spread throughout the UK.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPhil View Post
Yeah, they'll definitely be starting in places with the highest number of diesels on the road. I'm not sure what the sales are like in North America, but I know they marginal compared to Europe. I have a feeling that once the first bans are placed, that they will quickly spread throughout the UK.
The difference is in Europe is has been a normal thing for decades, a part of automotive culture, in the U.S. aside from 2500 and up pick-up's, its rare to see a diesel passenger vehicle.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:12 AM

I don't think it was a result of a difference in culture, but more the result of stricter emission standards. Automakers here also failed to properly advertise/market the benefits that come with a diesel engine. People here we're never properly sold on the technology...and it looks like that was to their benefit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page