Golf 8 mild hybrid officially announced - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Golf 8 mild hybrid officially announced

It looks like its now confirmed that the next generation Golf will be offered with a 48 volt mild hybrid system. Not only will this increase fuel economy, but it will also offer the instantaneous torque off the line. The new system will also allow the Golf to coast, with the ICE completely turned off, which will save up to 0.3liters/100km. It is believed that following its implementation on the Golf, that this setup will also be installed across the lineup.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 12:05 PM

Sounds great to me! A mild hybrid system won't be able to drive a car on pure electricity alone like the other hybrids, but it's enough to save a lot of gas considering how much is being burned up in stop and go traffic. And I'm prone to coasting in the city so it's even better when the engine is not being used.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 AM

With all the EV's that VW has coming down the pipeline, I see why they are going with a mild hybrid system in the Golf. I'm not sure how I feel about the ICE completely turning off when coasting, but I welcome any tech that boosts fuel economy. I guess its similar to start/stop tech that a lot of cars are using now?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2018, 12:13 PM

I suppose it is similar to that and won't be surprised to see the start/stop tech in the Golf hybrid too. Sounds like they're trying to up fuel efficiency as much as they can without making it a full hybrid. Personally not a fan because it really doesn't save all that much fuel and it's annoying at stop signs.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

It is a little odd that VW isn't going with a fully electrified model with how well the e-Golf has been doing in the UK. I have a feeling they went this route in an effort to save money for all the new platforms that they plan on releasing. With a mild hybrid system they can easily incorporate it into existing platforms without the need for expensive redesigns.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Most likely down to development cost if they want to come out with a full-hybrid Golf or the new platform isn't compatible with the hybrid system. VW does plan to offer an electric-powered variant of nearly all of its models in the near-future. So instead of giving us a full-hybrid, VW may just skip it and go straight for all electric.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 11:16 AM

Well they've already made a fully electric Golf with the e-Golf, it just hasn't been offered globally as of yet. And it doesn't look like we'll even have to chance to get it here in North America, with how behind they are on production. Looks like the rest of us will be waiting on the next generation electric model.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 02:16 PM

VW moves slower and as a result too many products end up not coming here soon enough. I guess if it wasn't for other newer VW products we wouldn't be seeing offerings elsewhere like this. the Arteon and Atlas is doing a lot for VW lately.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page