Bosch announces breakthrough in diesel tech - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Bosch announces breakthrough in diesel tech

Bosch, which is the biggest supplier of diesel engine technology for VW, has claimed that they have developed new technology that greatly reduces the emissions from diesel engines. More importantly, this new tech can be incorporated into production vehicles without adding significant cost or additional new components. By using a combination of advanced fuel injection, a newly developed airflow management system to recirculate exhaust gases, and intelligent temperature management they claim that nitrogen oxide emissions drop to 1/10 of the amount set under the 2020 limits for Europe.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Great that Bosch can figure out how to reduce emissions from diesel engines, but it seems like the engine's reputation is shot at this point, at least outside of Europe. I think diesel powered small cars are still popular there, though good luck to Bosch because hybrids are helping petrol engines get that low end torque diesels are known for and they save on gas. Not a strong case for Bosch.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Yeah I saw this articles about this a few days ago, and I really with that VW would just leave this outdated platform behind. What's the point of fixing emission problems with diesels with electrification underway, and there being a very real chance of the technology being outright banned in the next few years.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 05:12 AM

Some countries are already banning gas engines by a certain year, I assume that applies for diesels as well. It's a dying breed and of course there will be people who prefer diesel, but the future is in alternative fuel and diesel is not one of them, though pickups still seem to be popular with that power unit.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

It looks like more companies are considering hydrogen cars as well, as Hyundai has shown off their new Nexo concept. I think Toyota was a little too early to market with the Mirai, but I think we may see more of these powertrains come to market in the next few years.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 11:34 AM

As much as I support the transition to alternative fuel sources, I just don't see the practicality of a hydrogen based car. Will regular shops be able to work on them? And where do you have to go to fill up your car?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
As much as I support the transition to alternative fuel sources, I just don't see the practicality of a hydrogen based car. Will regular shops be able to work on them? And where do you have to go to fill up your car?
Not to mention the poor release value. Instead if it comes to market it should just be a model limited to fleet, that way its easier to control all aspects of how the vehicle progresses in the market. Ultimately I don't think it should happen at all
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:39 AM

Hydrogen infrastructure will be very slow going at first because it's harder than laying down electrical lines for a charger; compressed holding tanks, special pumps, etc. Good for cargo trucks but not for the average car owners. Electric and hybrids are the future.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page