New WLTP rules could mean dealys for new models - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

New WLTP rules could mean dealys for new models

VW has recently announced that due to changes in the WLTP for new cars, that this will restrict the availability of some models. They believed that production of up to 250,000 cars could be delayed to these new mandatory tests for emissions and fuel economy. As a result production will be halted on certain days throughout August and September as VW will only build models that fulfill the new standards.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:14 AM

With the amount of scrutiny that VW models are under these days, I think delays are a safer route than possible recalls. Though it does seem like a lot of their upcoming models are implementing hybrid systems, which should alleviate emission issues.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
With the amount of scrutiny that VW models are under these days, I think delays are a safer route than possible recalls. Though it does seem like a lot of their upcoming models are implementing hybrid systems, which should alleviate emission issues.
That can be argued because by getting these out ASAP and in the hands of consumers on a product that can benefit from an aggressive launch can do a lot for a brand.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Its going to be a bit of a balancing act for VW, to decide between having new models first to market, and ensuring they comply with the latest standards. The brand has already taken a significant hit to their reputation, and the last thing they need is another expensive recall, where they have to provide new owners with loaners.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

It'll be interesting to see if the mild hybrid system makes it more or less difficult for the new Golf to pass EPA regulations. A similar system that was placed in the new Ram seems to have resulted in some significant delays with certification.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 05:59 PM

If it means better testing before these get the green light to come to market then it will do everyone a lot of good. Odds are that's the case given all the scandals we've seen. EPA is under pressure.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 11:01 AM

The mild hybrid system that's found in the new Ram is one of the first we've seen introduced in the market, and I'm sure its a fair bit more difficult for it to deliver the improved fuel economy that's required. Seeing as how VW just received another $10billion fine, delays are to be expected.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

I believe that diesel sales in Europe have dropped by something like 40% as a result of all this controversy, so I would imagine that VW is finally realizing that there's not much money to be made with the technology anymore. I hope that all these massive fines don't result in a delay of their I.D lineups launch.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Glad to see that's happening because within the past year either the entire EU or part of it set out plans to stop sales of diesels and even gasoline vehicles by the 2030's to 2040's giving car makers a stern warning. Once attainable diesel models go away there will be a void especially with that massive decrease in sales giving rise to affordable hybrids. If I lived in Europe, a VW UP! Hybrid would fill that void.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page