E Golf supply dwindling as VW preps I.D lineup - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

E Golf supply dwindling as VW preps I.D lineup

With Volkswagens new electric lineup just on the horizon, they have shifted focus away from their existing EV's. It is now estimated that the E-Golf has dropped to just 10 cars available, nationwide. Numbers that low usually suggest that a car is being discontinued, but VW has said the model will continue for 2018 and 2019. Doesn't look like its ever going to be readily available for customers in NA.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 11:14 AM

Unfortunate that North Americans wont get the opportunity to own one of the better EV models that's currently on the market. Though I can understand why VW doesn't want to invest further into a model that will be succeeded by their new electric lineup.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Could end up being a good used model to buy once people begin to upgrade. I think the entry level price is what deters a lot of interested buyers, and I expect depreciation to be pretty severe on electrics.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 10:42 AM

Yeah I don't know how much interest there is going to be in older electrics that have less range and longer charge times. Though VW could always consider offering some sort of battery pack upgrade option for owners of previous gen models.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Well new EV owners might be okay with less utility if it means a cheaper buy in price. It'll give them the opportunity to test the capability of the platform and whether or not they think the platform can suit their needs.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Second hand electrics are also considered the greenest car you can buy, as no additional resources were used for its production. And after any serious degradation of the battery, it can always be swapped out for a brand new pack. Hopefully VW has a plan to repurpose old batteries.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 01:51 AM

What can happen in the long run is some aftermarket company can make a universal system at a cheaper cost. This can very well be the same companies that supply car makers with batteries for new vehicles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

I believe that Nissan Leaf actually allows for individual module replacement as opposed to the entire pack, depending on the issue. I think it would be smart for all EV manufacturers to consider a similar system, as that would probably reduce the cost and length of time for repairs.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasGary View Post
I believe that Nissan Leaf actually allows for individual module replacement as opposed to the entire pack, depending on the issue. I think it would be smart for all EV manufacturers to consider a similar system, as that would probably reduce the cost and length of time for repairs.
That might have something to do with the under $3000 price for a refab battery.
But that's only for starters as it can get as high as $8000.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:09 AM

That's probably not something that you'll need to worry about unless you plan on getting a used EV. To me it makes more sense to just get one of VW mild hybrids until their electric models become more widely available.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page