VW issues recall for Golf and Golf Sportwagon - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

VW issues recall for Golf and Golf Sportwagon

VW is recalling around 35k models from 2015- 2018 due to an issue with the ignition. Because of a problem caused by contaminated contacts, there is a chance the ignition key can be removed even if the vehicle is not in park. Luckily this problem wont affect any models with push button starts. Dealers will be installing an additional switch and circuit board, free of charge. NHTSA campaign number: 18V464000. Volkswagen's number for this recall is 37L5.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 11:32 AM

Even if you managed to accidentally remove the key while the car is in use, I doubt much would change, so long as the ignition remained in the on position. Though you could have some serious difficulties in turning the car off or on again due to the worn lock mechanism.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 11:02 AM

Never would have thought there would be an advantage to having a push button start. I've always preferred to get a regular ignition whenever possible, because I don't really like the idea of not being able to use your vehicle should the push start malfunction.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:44 PM

I bet once 5G is fully integrated our cars will be able to start without any driver intervention, that will be the real advantage, especially once systems are self learning to our habits. Then Push Start will seem very analog.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

There have already been electric concepts with facial recognition for vehicle access and use, but I don't think that kind of tech is really affordable on a large scale just yet. This huge push for hands free access and control is going to bring about a bevy of security concerns.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 11:12 AM

That happens with all new technology. There are always going to be people trying to find a fault or flaw in new systems, which they can abuse. I don't really see how you'd work around biometrics however.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 11:10 AM

If you look back at some of the vehicles that were shown off at the Tokyo Autoshow, they are already trying to transition cars as more of a companion than a machine. I personally don't really like the idea of an AI, but I know Telsa has already shown interest in it for their cars.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 06:53 PM

Eventually everyone will like this new era of automobiles, they will essentially be an extension of the mobile devices you already use, nothing more.
Biggest selling point about these is the time saved, when you no longer have to put as much thought or effort into tasks, its hard to choose the alternative.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Autonomous vehicles will have their place in society, so long as automakers realize there are plenty of us who still enjoy driving. I know they'll make a huge improvement to congestion and road safety, but its going to be years before its all properly regulated.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page