VW working on a R420? - 2019 8th Gen VW Golf Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

VW working on a R420?

There have been many articles floating around referencing some strange Golf R prototypes testing at the Nurburgring. If VW does indeed decide to offer it with the 2.5l turbocharged 5 cylinder from the RS3, this new powerplant will give it nearly 118hp more than the last updated model. I would be surprised if this ends up happening however, as we know the company has been recently detuning some models to comply with new WLTP standards. https://www.carscoops.com/2018/11/vo...20-mega-hatch/
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 11:56 AM

While I would love to see this happen, I do worry the odds of this model becoming a reality went away with dieselgate. With these kinds of output numbers it could even outperform the BMW M2, though pricing could still be a barrier.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 02:11 PM

Rumors have been floating around about a VW Arteon R so it wouldn't surprise me that VW is looking for yet another vehicle to stick the same engine in.
Apparently the round of shows coming up in a month will showcase three R models, keep an eye out.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 11:52 AM

Even Subaru seems to be developing a 400hp version of the STI, though it looks like it will be restricted to Japan. The new AMG A45 should have around the same amount of hp on tap as well.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-13-2018, 07:59 PM

I'll be looking forward to that if it means something special for the BRZ's successor, if it ever happens. I feel Toyota held them back on creating something with real power and performance. Subaru even had a BRZ STi concept that could have done a lot of damage as a production version.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Ford showed an interest in a similar powerplant for the next gen RS, but unfortunately that wont ever become a reality. It seems that moving forward the majority of performance hot hatches will have +350hp.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:06 PM

Not a fan of having so much power from brands not entirely known for improving other areas for a well tuned machine in all areas. I'm not asking for a Porsche but at least performance that feels in control.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page